BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 25, 2010

News Flash: I'm not wealthy...

It's been a while since I learned the in's and out's of the public health system. The princess and I have both taken part in the benefits of Medicaid and WIC. This offends some people for some reason... and honestly, I don't care. These services are offered to illegal aliens and personally, I think if my government is going to pay for some foreigner to have a baby, they can pay for mine, too. :)

Since we've moved SO many times I've had to go to NUMEROUS health departments. I've spent hours and hours on endless phone calls to 10 different organizations changing and transferring information. Sometimes I think it's all more trouble than it's worth... but then I remember the hundreds and hundreds of dollars in formula that I saved after the princess stopped breastfeeding.

Anywho, today our adventure was to one of the many health departments in town to apply for pregnancy medicaid. Being the seasoned mother that I am (baha!) I knew better than to just carry my child in. Nope, that would never do. In the first 10 minutes the princess would've been crying, climbing out of my lap, and wiggling her way on to the floor. It's a pretty good thing I had that stroller, too since we were there for TWO HOURS!!!!

I only have so many options to entertain an 11 month old.
1-Snacks
2-Sippy Cup
3-Pacifier
4-ANYTHING I CAN FIND- keys, cell phone, wipe case, wallet, etc.

Too much of #2 led to a leaking diaper and a half naked baby.... in the one place you don't want people to think you're not taking care of your child.

I definitely know every health department does things differently. I especially know now that I spent so much time getting together and worrying about forms I had to have such as pay stubs, birth certificates, and social security cards- NONE of which they asked to see at this particular appointment. BUT at least 2 hours later I was approved!

Of course by that point the princess had realized 'Hey, I can wiggle out of my buckle and STAND UP in this stroller! ....ooo, look, a week old fruit loop, yum!'

...Thank God that's over!

Upcoming Missions: WIC appointments. But of course hers and mine are at different departments, on different days, at different times. ::sigh::





0 comments: